Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Search and Destroy

70's boho top converted to cocoon shape

80's distressed cutoff shorts given a bleach bath and shortened

80's studded tee, cropped and reshaped, given a bleach bath


Every now and then I get the impulse to cut things apart, rip, bleach, shred, tear..... and start looking through forgotten vintage to see who my next victim will be. Sometimes unearthing the stuff just isn't enough; I need to recreate. I will occasionally find a garment that seems to whisper its desire to be transformed and to get a new lease on life. Usually these things end up in my closet, but I've decided to take a leap and start adding them to the shop!

It's a little nerve wracking for me because I don't know how these thing will be received; I feel like there's a lot more at stake because I am opening up my own designs to criticism. It's easy to shrug off distaste for something in my store because it's another designer's work. Exposing my own makes me feel a little undressed. Anyhow, these are a few test pieces. Depending on how it goes, I may or may not start adding more of my own designs into the shop; I think it will be a good challenge for me.

3 comments:

  1. I love the studded tee, and those shorts take me back to age 16! I bet you'll do great with these in your shop. You'll certainly have the raw materials to begin with (and this just makes me wish I were more creative and crafty--but thankful for folk like you who *are*!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that first top. I love Mexican-style embroidered dresses and tops. So pretty and perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your designs ... these examples look fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete